[bksvol-discuss] Re: Need blind help on a Microsoft word oddity

  • From: misha <mishatronics@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2014 18:49:02 -0800

I can't imagine how a person using a screen reader would ever know that boxes which are part of a paragraph format (called borders by MS Word) are even there, much less fix that. If it is part of a custom style then with the screen reader set up to say all styles, it might say "paragraph style 1" or some such, but that would give no indication what the style does.

If it is a custom style, the instructions I've posted here before to remove all custom styles would get rid of it. When I scan, my OCR software creates a lot of custom styles, so one of the first things I do after scanning is remove them. However, you do not need to create such a custom style to make such border boxes, so just removing custom styles will not necessarily solve the problem. You could select all and apply the "Normal" style to the whole document, but then if the person who scanned the book had put in the font changes for chapter headings, those would be gone, too.

On the other hand, I'd be surprised if the bookshare conversion tool left such formatting in. If I were writing such software, the first thing I'd do is strip out everything that is not useful formatting a DAISY or BRF file.

Misha

On 2/5/2014 2:07 PM, Judy s. wrote:
Has anyone ever encountered an rtf created by Word that contains a border that is attached to a paragraph, but it isn't even necessarily attached to the paragraph where it appears in the document?

This is not a graphic line per se, at least in the way Word defines graphic lines, so you can't search for it using a graphics search. It is a border that is specifically controlled by word's paragraph formatting features.

As far as I've been able to determine, there aren't any codes that would allow a screen reader to find this particular kind of line in an rtf, but I don't know anything really about screen readers and I'm hoping there is a way.

To a sighted reader, the paragraph border line appears as a line of small black boxes that run from the left margin to the right margin of the page.

I'm helping out with a book being proofread that has this problem, and it's been a bear to resolve. I've figured out how to do it using visual cues and Word's paragraph border feature within the ribbon in Word 2010, but I can't find any way that a blind person could even know this kind of line is in the rft of a book, much less find where the problem actually occurs in the book and then fix it.

I have a solution that works for a sighted volunteer, but I'd like help from an experienced blind volunteer to see if there's a way to find this kind of problem and fix it without relying on visual cues. I'm hoping that this isn't a word formatting feature that is totally inaccessible, and all based on sight.

All help is much appreciated. smile.

Judy s.