[bksvol-discuss] Re: Need a Proofreader for a Dark Halloween Book

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2015 20:38:19 -0400

Okay Jess, I'll let you know when it's up. I'll have to do it here because I don't see a link in your message anywhere to send you mail offlist.
Evan

-----Original Message----- From: Jessica |M
Sent: Thursday, October 08, 2015 4:05 PM
To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: Need a Proofreader for a Dark Halloween Book

As no one else has taken this one yet, I'll take
it. It's been ages since I've proofread
anything, so I'll need to read up on it in case
any new rules have been developed, but I've been
wanting to get back into proofreading for a
while, and now that fall break from college is
here, and I don't have another paper due for
three weeks, I should have time to do a book or two.

Jess

At 10:14 AM 10/8/2015, you wrote:

Hey Guys,
Well, after two attempts to resubscribe to this list, it looks like Freelists has finally deigned to let me rejoin. I’m wondering if Bookshare might want to start considering whether they should switch to some other more reliable provider, one that doesn’t (apparently) capriciously unsubscribe people, and with no notification at that! This is the second time in the last two months that I’ve been unsubscribed. I wonder how many other people have been kicked off unbeknownst to them, or after multiple unsubs, have decided to just throw in the towel. Our list could just die of slow attrition if something isn’t done.
Anyway, I am almost finished scanning a BSO of a book. It was originally intended for
Lissi, who wasn’t sure even when she gave it to me that she wanted to do it, but
now I’m sure it’s not her cup of tea. It’s called The Halloween Man by Douglas Clegg.
I’ve put the info from the back cover below. But the bottom line is that it’s very
dark; there’s serious violence in here, and I’m wondering if anyone would be interested
in proofreading it.
Lissi checked out the copy on Bookshare, and it’s definitely in need of redoing.
She wrote up a list of problems with it that I will place in the Comments section when
I submit it.
If anyone is interested, let me know and I’ll put a Hold on it for you when I get
it scanned and cleaned up, by Saturday at the latest. But keep in mind that
I haven’t read through it. I only know what I’ve picked up in bits and snatches while
checking that chapter titles scanned correctly, and it’s quite dark, so I need someone
who isn’t bothered by that sort of thing and who will actually read through it. I
do a lot of checking and cleaning up of my scans though, so while I haven’t read
through it, it is by no stretch a raw scan.
Here is the back cover info.

From the new master of terror,
Douglas Clegg,
comes a descent into a heart-stopping nightmare!
"Douglas Clegg pulls out the stops of terror!"—Publishers Weekly
The New England coastal town of Stonehaven had a history of nightmares—and dark secrets.
But when Stony Crawford fell in love with beautiful Lourdes Maria Castillo, he became
the unwitting pawn in a game of horror and darkness, a game that had been played
since long before his birth.
"Douglas Clegg is a weaver of nightmares!" —Robert R. McCammon, author of Swan Song
NOW, EVIL STALKS THE NIGHT
The Halloween Man walks when the screaming begins, and only Stony Crawford holds
the key to the chilling mystery of Stonehaven, and to the power of the unspeakable
creature trapped within a summer mansion.
"A brilliant novel up there with the best of Straub, King and Koontz!"
—Edward Lee, author of Goon