[bksvol-discuss] Re: Need Help From A Sighted Volunteer

  • From: MissWings <misswings@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,<bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 00:19:28 -0600

Hi Pratik, and thanks for the info. I'd forgotten about the copyright issue and the laws, but it makes sense now why they're strict about asking for correct dates.

MissWings

At 11:29 PM 11/14/2006, Pratik Patel wrote:

MissWings,

Many of us agree with your sentiment that it's the book that matters and not
a lot of the technical details.  Unfortunately, these technical details are
the ones that allow bookshare to operate successfully.  It is an exemption
in the copyright  law that allows us, as volunteers, to submit material that
we have scanned for our personal needs.  And, to be sure that bookshare
complies with all pertinent laws and regulations, copyright informaiton
needs to be accurate and the organization needs to ensure that no laws are
broken while giving us more than 30000 books to access.  So, whether we like
it or not, the devil is in the details, as they say.  We need to ensure that
the copyright notice exists and it's as accurate as we can possibly make it.

I hope this answers your question.  Please let me know if I can provide any
further details.

Pratik