[bksvol-discuss] Re: NLS vs. Bookshare

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 22:51:47 -0400

Dear Lora and Booksharian Friends,

It sounds as if I'm taking the easy way out telling all of you that I agree
with everything Lora said so eloquently. Lora, you put so much thought in your
explanation of why braille readers,  in particular, combine the advantages of
NLS and Bookshare to enjoy the widest range of diverse, quality braille
reading. I agree with you on every point and can't possibly express how we
combine the strengths of both Braille book providers to avail ourselves of the
best braille reading opportunities of our lives.

I read NLS paper braille or web braille with confidence that it will be
flawless, and turn to bookshare to satisfy my heart's desires for more
particular but less mainstream interests. Like you, Lora, I am frustrated
reading books with less than excellent accuracy, though I admit that never say
never applies in this case.

A few days ago I needed a jolt of reassurance that  positive attitudes and
generous spirits are plentiful so I rashly downloaded a copy of Chicken Soup
for the Soul Volume 2 despite the warning that the quality was only good. As I
read the preliminaries liberally spattered with scannos and junk characters, I
berated myself for starting a book with the unsatisfactory good rating in the
first place. Then my better nature prevailed and I read the first story and, it
was truly excellent. And so were the second, third, fourth and fifth stories!
Apparently the font changes, fancy formatting and italics in the title pages,
contents, etc, confounded the scanning equipment, but the once the stories
began, the scanner, validator, or both had the material well in hand. The
ratings don't always reflect  the book's quality and oh my how I've digressed.

I've been keeping a silly kind of pact with myself. At any given time, I'm
reading a braille book each from NLS, Bookshare and the Wisconsin Volunteer
Braillists. I've also got an NLS recording on my talking book, an unabridged
pro recording of a book from my local library in progress on my regular tape
player and A bookshare html book in progress on my computer read by Jaws. At
the same time, I'm carefully reading books I'm validating for Bookshare, at
least one hard book and one easy book going at the same time. I'm reading books
popular with the mainstream and quirky B list mysteries or my beloved books
about Scotland, Ireland and Wales, and Tolkien. With my personal mix of
Bookshare, NLS and other sources,I'm in book-lover's heaven on earth.

Back to you, Lora, I've gushed and meandered, but you summed up my thoughts
enthusiastically and at the same time in an orderly way. I truly found your
post to be satisfying and a pleasure to read.

Always with Love

Lissi who pulled an all nighter last night so is too busy to proofread this
post.