[bksvol-discuss] Re: NLS vs. Bookshare

  • From: "Jill O'Connell" <jillocon@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 09:47:30 -0700

Jamie, How does your friend read books from Bookshare? To convert these books
into hard copy braille, one would have to have a braille embosser and in most
cases the amount of paper needed to do this would be staggering. In my case I
download Bookshare books to my BrailleNote, a laptop type computer with a
braille display. I do the same with NLS books using their web site called web
braille. The main difference between the two is that NLS pays to have the books
they select done by one of the commercial presses producing braille books and
they are basically flawless. However, because money is involved, only about 600
braille books are produced each year. As you know, Bookshare on the other hand
is dependent on volunteers to produce the books and there can be a great
variation in quality. NLS is free and though it does take time for books to go
through the mail, one can curl up with one and enjoy it. In my case, I quickly
adapted to "curling up" with my BrailleNote and have no reason to ever return
to braille books through the mail. I hope this has answered your questions; ask
on if it hasn't. Jill 1