[bksvol-discuss] Re: NLS vs. Bookshare

  • From: "Lora" <loravara@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 May 2007 05:26:46 -0600

Hi Jamie,

There have been many wonderful responses to your question, but I can't help
but add my own.

First, I use both Web Braille (an NLS service for providing flawless copies
of books in Braille) and Bookshare.  I wouldn't give up either.

The first advantage of Bookshare for me is Braille!  Every book on Bookshare
is available in Braille.  You get two choices:  a DAISY copy that you can
listen to, or a BRF file that you can put in your notetaker.  I "curl up"
with my Pacmate and read books in Braille.  I far prefer to read books in
Braille.  I read quickly, and my comprehension is much higher than when I
listen to a book on cassette.  When listening, I am more easily distracted.

NLS, on the other hand, only produces about 600 books a year in Braille.
Most of their efforts for new books are directed to having them recorded on
cassette.  For a devoted Braille reader, this means lots of new books in a
format I'm not fond of.

Secondly is the issue of personal choice.  If I want a book on alternative
religion, or books of an adult nature, or books on role-playing games, or
books on cooking Armenian food, or books on bird watching, I can scan and
submit them, or find a willing volunteer to help me do so.  I have a choice
on what goes into the Bookshare collection.  With NLS, I never have a
choice.  Since many of my interests are off the wall, I'd never find books
at NLS to satisfy them.

third is the immediacy of it all.  So I noticed that the newest book in the
Dresden Files series was added to the collection last night.  I downloaded
it, added it to my Pacmate, and now I can read it whenever I'm ready:  on
the bus, while waiting for an appointment, wherever I have downtime.  Beyond
that, immediacy also means that if I want a recently published book added to
the collection, I can buy it like everyone else, on the day it is released,
scan it, and submit it, and it's added.  I get very frustrated by the delays
in getting the next book in a series from NLS.  And NLS has countless series
that aren't complete.  For instance, you may have books 1 and 3, but not 2
or 4.  If I read a series, I want to read them in order.

I can't really speak to cost of membership.  At this point, $50 is something
I can afford every year.  In the past, when I couldn't have afforded it all
at once, I would have saved up for it, because I would have felt that it was
worth it.

The average paperback seems to go for about $7 new.  So the average sighted
person would be able to buy 7 books in a year with the $50 we spend on
Bookshare membership.  And we have access to far more than that:  1200 books
a year with the normal download limits, I believe.  That's a little over 4
cents a book, if my math is right.

I grew up with NLS, and remember countless hours listening to books on
records, then cassettes.  NLS will always hold a special place in my heart,
for they gave me a love of reading.  Bookshare, however, meets my needs as
we head into the future.  With NLS' government budget limitations, and the
fact that it is not a member-driven collection, it cannot compete for me.

To be fair, I do have one frustration with Bookshare.  Books vary greatly in
quality.  I only download books rated Excellent, because every mistake is
immediately apparent in Braille, and it's not as fun to read books when I'm
mentally grumbling about the errors.  Nonetheless, almost every book rated
Excellent that I've downloaded has been a pleasure to read.

Sorry, I didn't mean to ramble this much, but Bookshare brings it out in me.

Lora

  _____