[bksvol-discuss] Re: My two Cents about Proofreading

  • From: "Ixchel, Jackie" <starsandhearts2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 12:16:23 -0400

Hi,
I agree with you Kim. I usually read every single word in a book. It
is good to check with the submitter and if you can't reach them, the
people on this list are great. I think that the word proofread implies
that like when you proofread say if you were an editor and you
proofread a book that an author wrote, you read everything or else the
book might be horrible. I hope my annalogy made sense but all in all,
proofread has the word read in it so it means read.
Jackie

On 4/20/12, Kim Friedman <kimfri11@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi, speaking strictly for myself, I don't think one can say a book is
> proofread unless the person doing it reads every word of the book from
> first to last. If you don't do that, how can you be sure that something
> hasn't slipped by your notice. It seems to me this is the only way to be
> sure you've done the job properly. I also think it helps to correspond
> with the submitter in case you have questions about the text. Sometimes
> I need to verify if what I think is correct actually is correct. I'm
> very glad that folks are concerned about the quality of the file because
> I appreciate having something which is a pleasure to read. I think about
> how the book will be readable while I'm proofreading. I want what I do
> to enhance what the submitter does so the book will be a joy to read for
> anyone choosing to download it. Regards, Kim Friedman.

Currently Reading: The Lost Hero by Rick Riordan and Hex Hall by Rachel Hawkins