[bksvol-discuss] Re: My observations on new search

  • From: "Monica Willyard" <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jan 2010 00:51:49 -0500

Hi Lynn. You may not have realized this. The old Google search box could
only search the titles, authors, and synopses of books. Since we have around
10,000 books with no synopses, they were not possible to find. We also have
around 1,000 romances whose only synopses say "romance." We also have
thousands of books that are only in the fiction or nonfiction category,
making them difficult to find as well unless you knew their exact title or
author name.

The full text search gives us transparent access to these thousands of books
for the first time. We no longer have to gaze into a crystal ball and guess
at what a book is about or put random words into the search box, just in
case they might be in a title. By typing market* I can find books I need for
work about marketing, markets, marketers, or marketed. Under the old system,
I had to do several searches, and they still wouldn't have worked on books
like McDonald's Behind The Arches, a book which definitely discusses
marketing.

I do hope Bookshare staff will write a more detailed help file for searching
so people will get more comfortable with it. I know there are several bugs
too, and it'll be nice when the engineers are able to resolve them. Once
everything is fine-tuned, I think people will appreciate being able to find
books more easily.

Monica Willyard

  _____