[bksvol-discuss] My observations on new search

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <guidinggolden@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 08:44:00 -0500

hi you all,

I think this definitely needs some more refining, but is neat.

I have found, at least with author, if you do the author's last name, first name and surround it with ";'s you will get the results you wanted, I did this for Gail Gibbons, and there is one book there I can't figure out why it is there, but the rest made sense to me. However you can't do this with title of book, "A Piece of Cake: A Memoir" by Cupcake Brown, does not show up, but a huge variety of books some pertaining to cake do, smile.

Will try other things such as + or - between the search words, and shall see what we come up with.

But so far, is definitely interesting.

I will tell you that my library has a great web search concept. It has a combo box, with choices such as "word or phrase, title, author, subject, LOC subject, series, and a few others I don't use. So you can tell it where you want it to look. Word or phrase searches the entire entry for a book, title just searches the title, author, the author and so on and so forth. It works out quite well.

Shelley L. Rhodes, VRT
and ?

Reading a book is like rewriting it for yourself. You bring to a novel, anything you read, all your experience of the world. You bring your history and you read it in your own terms. -Angela Carter, novelist and journalist (1940-1992)