[bksvol-discuss] Re: My novel

  • From: "Jackie McBride" <abletec@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 19:43:35 -0700

Grandma Cindy:

Blink is, well, kind of a little bit of derogatory terminology for a
blind person. Maybe derogatory isn't quite the right word. Kinda like,
well, u know, how black folks call each other the n word, & for them
it's ok, but should definitively not be done if you're not. This is
just me, but, personally, I don't like being called that by either
blind or sighted folks. Of course, perhaps it's because I was 1st
called that not long after losing my eyesight, & that by a sighted
person whom I felt had no business referring to me in anything but a
respectful way. Conversely, I don't like blind folks referring to
sighted people as sightlings, either. To my way of thinking, we're
just people who happen to be sight-impaired or sight-enabled, w/the
personhood coming 1st & foremost & the visual status pretty much
secondarily down the line. &, in case you're wondering, I don't like
the n word, either, & I'll tell u what--when I was teachin & heard 1
of my students use that word I came *unglued* in front of the whole
class & when I got done u coulda heard a pin drop in that room. & I
got in trouble as a kid once cuz some1 called my friend that & they in
turn got a knuckle sandwich from me lol. I wasn't sorry about it then
& I'm not now. & I got in more trouble cuz I was told to apologize to
the kid I'd hit & I absolutely refused. So I guess I think names are
what u should call people, like Jackie or Cindy, & labels belong on
cans.

Hope that answered your question, if nothing else.

Change the world--1 deed at a time
Jackie McBride
Check out my homepage at:
www.abletec.serverheaven.net