[bksvol-discuss] My last submission for today

  • From: "solsticesinger" <solsticesinger25@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 19:38:33 -0500

The Last of Her Kind by Sigrid Nunez is on the step one page now. I have
removed headers and common scanning errors, as well as protected page
breaks. This should be an easy validation. The synopsis is below.

The Last of Her Kind
 introduces two women who meet as freshmen on the Columbia campus in 1968.
Georgette George does not know what to make of her brilliant, idealistic
roommate,
Ann Drayton, and her obsessive disdain for the ruling class into which she
was born. She is mortified by Ann's romanticization of the underprivileged
class,
which Georgette herself is hoping college will enable her to escape. After
the violent fight that ends their friendship, Georgette wants only to forget
Ann and to turn her attention to the troubled runaway kid sister who has
reappeared after years on the road. Then, in 1976, Ann is convicted of
murder.
At first, Ann's fate appears to be the inevitable outcome of her belief in
the moral imperative to make justice in a world where there are no innocent
white people. But, searching for answers to the riddle of this friend of her
youth, Georgette finds more complicated and mysterious forces at work. As
the novel's narrator, Georgette illuminates the terrifying life of this
difficult, doomed woman, and in the process discovers how much their early
encounter
has determined her own path, and why, decades later, as she tells us, "I
have never stopped thinking about her."

I am only one; but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can
do something. And because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do
the
something I can do.
- Everett Edward Hale, 1822 - 1909