[bksvol-discuss] Re: My intro

  • From: "Bob" <rwiley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2008 22:27:27 -0600

Welcome Lelia.

Where do you want to start?

If you are planning on scanning then let us know what scanning program you have. If you are planning on validating, let us know how you plan on going about it.

In other words, let us know your strengths and weaknesses. For example, I am a lousy scannor. I know it, and if I were to be the only person scanning for bookshare our collection would increase by 1 per year--and that one would be of fair quality. I also know, that I am a good listener and can audibly edit books with good accuracy. I also use Kurzweil's editing tools to help out.

We have talked about having a mentor program, and I tried mentoring one person and we just didn't click. So, if you find someone on this list that seems to give good advice perhaps you could send a personal message to them.

When I started validating, I was out to impress the world. I found a book on step 1 called "the story of civilization, volume 35" or something like that. I contacted E, whose name seemed to be attached to that book, and asked my question. She gently suggested that a beginning validator should start with some simpler. You will learn that E doesn't often give gentle advice, but usually gives good advice here.

So, as I said, let us know where you want to start, and what you want to do and with what tools. In other words, take time with your questions, and we'll take time with our answers.

Also, once more, welcome.

Bob

----- Original Message ----- From: "lelia" <struve33@xxxxxxxxx>