[bksvol-discuss] Re: More on the most popular list.

  • From: Lara Long <laral@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2010 15:13:54 -0800

Hey Roger and friends,
The "most popular" downloads logic was always designed to be that it shows all
downloads greater than zero for the last 30 days sorted by most downloaded to
least.

It *was* unfortunately implemented at site launch (predates me) as basically
"recently added" books - books added in last 30 days.

In the work that we did in the full text search release we did implement
components of the browse links to use the new search engine instead of hitting
the database directly.  While we were doing this we fixed the browse by most
popular downloads to actually reflect the original design (noted above in first
sentence).

This is why you see the large number of results now appearing.  It actually IS
the number of downloads in the last 30 days of any book downloaded more than
once.

Let me know if you have any additional thoughts or questions on this!

Thanks,
Lara Long
Literacy Product Manager
m: 512.771.4257