[bksvol-discuss] More on Stripping

  • From: Mike Pietruk <pietruk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 06:28:00 -0400 (EDT)

I just validated one of Shelley's Bailey Kids Adventure Books.
With all the talk about stripped chapter info, I decided to check for
Chapters within the book.
As it turns out, the book has the chapter number on 1 line and the chapter
name on the next.
Shelley must have run the book through K1000's own stripper tool which
ended up removing around half of the numbers from the Chapter titles.
By the time this book would have gone through BookShare's own stripper, I
am guessing that all of the other numbers may well have been lost and
perhaps even some Chapter titles.

As a result of my studying of the stripper problem, I will no longer use
any stripping tools on books I submit or validate.
The harm they can do, when combined with Bookshare'w own tool which
insists on removing info even when not advisable, makes me believe that
stripping can cause more problems than it solves.

Sure, the BookShare stripper is overzealous; but so are submitters and
validators in their own stripping and clean up which just gives the
in-house stripper the ability to get at stuff it should never be able to.