[bksvol-discuss] More on Footnotes - was On footnotes, Copied from the scanning and proofreading manual

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2011 21:43:28 -0500

Hi All,

I asked Bookshare staff member Rick Costa, who wrote that section of the manual, for clarification on this back in May because it didn't make sense to me.

At that time, Rick explained to me that the reason for the space and parentheses around a footnote number that is within the text is as follows.

He said at the time that he wasn't sure that superscripting gets retained currently when Bookshare's software creates a Daisy file. If it doesn't, then a screenreader would either not deal correctly with the resulting word in the DAISY file, which would turn into a combination of a word with a number appended on its end, such as tiddlywink1, where tiddlywink was originally the last word in a sentence and 1 was a footnote number. Rick said that his reasoning is to make the formatting for footnotes somewhat unique (as a start, at least), by putting a space between the last word and the footnote and having parenthesis around the footnote number. By then also adding parentheses around the number that's in front of the actual footnote itself, a reader can search for that same string on the same page and get to the footnote right away, if the footnotes are on the page. If a reader encountered (1) in a sentence, they could search on (1) and the next instance of (1) would in most cases be the beginning of the footnote.

For what it's worth--that's a summary of the explanation I got. smile.

Judy s.

Mayrie ReNae wrote:
Hi everyone,

I just looked at the scanning and proofreading manual.  The manual  seems to
me to contradict itself in two consecutive paragraphs, unless the first bit
of information is speaking of the source and not the footnote number.

Here is the link to the page on which I found the information and the
complete information on footnotes. The first paragraph is what Scott sent to
us a while back. The second bit is what Lori sent just yesterday.
https://wiki.benetech.org/display/BSO/4.+Proofread+a+book
             1)  Footnotes
                  a.  Don't delete them.
                  b.  Enclose a footnote in square brackets.
                  c.  For multiple footnotes that occur on one page, group
them together at the bottom of the page.
                       Then enclose the entire group of footnotes within one
set of square brackets.
                       (For an example, follow the link below to the detail
page.)

             2)  Superscripts and Subscripts
                  a.  If footnote numbers or footnote letters are
superscripted or subscripted, leave them that way.
                  b.  The same holds true if footnote numbers or footnote
letters are not superscripted or
                       subscripted:  leave them as they are.
                  c.  Put parentheses around each footnote number or
footnote letter.
                       Also, if not already there, add a space between the
footnote number or footnote letter and
                       the word before it.

In the body of the text, change this:
                       Unemployment rose in the middle of this decade1.

                       to this:
                       Unemployment rose in the middle of this decade (1).

                       In the footnote itself, change this:
                       1Applies to the years 2006-2008.

                       to this:
                       (1) Applies to the years 2006-2008.