[bksvol-discuss] Re: More fun with footnotes! (LONG)

  • From: "Dornetta" <dornetta@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 13:13:29 -0400

Yes Roger, I agree with what you are saying. In all honesty the past 2 or 3
semesters I have really been relying on bookshare for my school needs,
usually I was only reading for pleasure from bookshare opting to utilize the
pdf's I got from publishers (this was before I realize the financial
benefit of bookshare and before I figured out that I can read right from my
computer also). I said that to say that I found navigation MUCH easier to
use on the computer than on my stream and yes, even my Packmate. The Norton
Anthology was one of the first books that I had to read with so many
footnotes and this was also the book that I played the "blind card" on
because of the page numbers. You see what it boiled down to was I had no
idea that the page numbers were at the top of pages in the bookshare book,
at first, I just didn't think about it and went on quoting and citing as if
nothing was wrong. As you may know page numbers are much different in a pdf
document and at the time that is what I was use to. The reference to the
footnotes being set-off is right on the mark though. Like I said, this was
the first book that I read with footnotes that I had to actually pay
attention to as in some of the others, I just read on without a second
thought to the footnotes. The only thing that lead me to figure out that I
was in a footnote was the brackets...while reading the text, JAWS just went
right through the text, reading as if there was no subscript number there. I
really need to create a reading scheme for reading text like this (but that
is another topic all by itself). I am wondering if  there is some way for
proofers or bookshare staff to place a key for readers something
like...footnotes are in italics or indicated by an asterisks **, etc...
Again, just some thoughts is all.