[bksvol-discuss] Re: More Awards for Bookshare?

  • From: "Marissa Mika" <Marissa.M@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 19:32:22 -0800

Hi Mike,

You've essentially hit the nail on the head: how to balance pr and complete
snazzy award collections with the everyday reality of getting X number of
current, bestselling and timely books on the site while they're still timely.

No doubt there is a manpower issue, and there's also a very real budgetary
issue. We certainly have the in-house volunteer resources to produce anywhere
from 50-100 current books a month. However, with the high speed scanner, we
destroy all of the books we scan, meaning that any NEW hardback we want to put
on the site will cost us about $20 plus the manpower. So, a lot of in-house
production is done with what we have--donations and rejected library books from
the 1990s. And, since NLS produces at least some bestsellers anywhere from six
months to a year after they're out, it's challenging to know what we want to
prioritize.

I brought up this thread on the volunteer homepage because the collection
development policy is something we're revisiting and revising. Thanks for all
of your input on "awards books" thus far. I need to emphasize, this isn't the
central focus of collection development. But it is nice to say that maybe every
year or every six months, we'll be adding a complete set of "something" to the
site, in addition to a newfound push for what's current.

And on the subject of awards, I think it would be great to get all of the
Nebula Award winners up there--which is granted by the Science Fiction Writers
Association every year for best science fiction novel (and novella). Thanks to
many submitters, we already have half the winners in the novel categories up.
It might be fun to try to complete the list by June or July. I can post it if
anyone's interested.

Best,
Marissa