[bksvol-discuss] Re: Modify Search Boxyikes on the new search

  • From: Melissa Smith <mdsmith25@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 18:27:13 -0600

Jamie, Is this a book that you know is in the collection? If it is, I believe that his name should show up in the authors box. At least that is the way I understand it to work. Perhaps this is another thing that engineering should be made aware of.

Melissa

Jamie Yates, CPhT wrote:
Ok I'm going to try this. I put Gallo into the search box. I got 2,678 results with The Millionaires by Brad Meltzer as the top result (go figure). I changed my sort order to By Author instead of By Relevance (since obviously relevance is relative since it wasn't relevant to me). I still got the same number of results (way too many) and now the top book is even farther away from what I want, certainly not the author of Gallo. So I clicked on the authors box and it gives me a list of authors, but not a single one of them has Gallo in the author's name. I think on the front page there should be a box you check if you want the full text search, otherwise you get the same basic search we used to have. Or the other way around, check a box to get the same basic search we used to have. I don't have time to look through 2,678 results to see if there are any books in the collection with an author by the name of Gallo. I suspect few of us have this kind of time either, which means we're just not going to scan books for fear they're already in the collection, or we're going to say to heck with it and waste our time scanning a book that may be in the collection but how in the heck are we supposed to find it?

--
Jamie in Michigan

Currently Reading: The Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club by Gil McNeil

Earn cash for answering trivia questions every 3 hours: http://instantcashsweepstakes.com/invitations/ref_link/49497

See everything I've read this year at: www.michiganrxtech.com/books.html <http://www.michiganrxtech.com/books.html>