[bksvol-discuss] Re: Missing story titles

  • From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 09 May 2009 03:52:17 -0400

Please be sure to send these kinds of comments along with specifics (name of proof reader and so on) to volunteer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx for maximum effect. If you truly want to be heard, fill out a quality report on each and every book and mention that you are doing that in the note to volunteer@bookshare. This kind of thing is important for bookshare staff to get done correctly. If somebody who is being paid does this kind of work, surely more training may be in order.

E.

At 10:34 PM 5/8/2009, you wrote:
Hmmm, if I'm at the point where I'm missing the beginning of a new chapter or worse, the beginning of a new story, I go to bed or do something else until my mind is ready to stay on the book.

More to the point is that apparently noone at Bookshare bothered to tell Daproim Africa how to protect section headings in books. Which seems strange to me, given the amount of bandwidth that has been devoted to this topic on this list. Makes me wonder how familiar those who communicate with the outsourcers are with how books get into the collection, especially about issues that can affect quality such as section headings being stripped unless they are protected in some way. Anyone from the staff who has spent much time on this list would have known to tell them to take care of that. Currently, I see that D.A. has added 1,032 books to the collection. If they were not told about protecting headings, then I wonder what the chances are that any of the other outsourcers were advised about this. Which means that there may well be thousands upon thousands of books, fairly recently added books, that will be missing chapter titles, story titles, etc.

I certainly hope that this is not the case.

Evan