[bksvol-discuss] Re: Missing pages. chapter

  • From: "Munawar Bijani" <munawarb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 08:04:43 -0500

Hello,
This is actually an excellent question, one that I myself pondered when I
first bought a pocket dictionary I was going to scan. The dictionary was not
formatted well from a screen reader's point of view, however, so I had to
scratch it. What I came up with is this:
Although the internet and word processing programs are able to autocorrect
typing, people aren't connected to the net 24-7. Let us assume I'm on the
bus to work and am reading a book on my PDA. For this device, there are not
many dictionary programs available, and those that are available cost at
least $40, not to mention they take up quite a bit of processing power, at
least from my experience. For these reasons, I would greatly benefit from an
electronic plain text dictionary where I can search for a word and get an
instant definition. The problem with this approach, as I have found with the
pocket dictionary I purchased long ago (I have not attempted scanning my
hardcover dictionary,) is that words are not whole. They are broken up by
sylables, such as ta-ble instead of table, or pro-gram instead of program. I
may scan my hardcover one day, but only when I get someone sighted to look
at the words and tell me how the dictionary is formatted so that I can give
a quick assessment of any potential scanning issues.

Munawar A. Bijani
mailto:munawarb@xxxxxxxxx