[bksvol-discuss] Re: Message for scanners

  • From: Roger Loran Bailey <rogerbailey81@xxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 May 2013 19:31:51 -0400

#
Frankly, I don't think there is any such thing as doing too much. As I said, I do consciously leave some things to the proofreader because of the limitations of my software, but ideally I think it would be good for me to try to make my submission perfect and leave for the proofreader the job of absolutely ensuring that I did it perfectly.
On 5/13/2013 6:06 PM, Dornetta wrote:
Hey Evan;
Thank you because your email has ensured me that I actually wasn't doing too much. When I did my first scan, I held that particular book for Vivian F., because I proofed one of her scans and in a conversation off-list she told me that she was willing to help me get to the "excellent scan" process. After she proofed that book, another off-list email from her told me of little problems with the scan; the biggest one being that I wasn't pressing down on the book being that it was a trade paperback. It soon gave me the confidence that I needed but after proofing her scan, I kind of "modeled" my future scans after what I saw in the scan that she did that I was proofing. This doesn't tell much about her process, except what I "saw"; I didn't get a manual from her or anything like that but instead I wanted to do as much as possible after the scanning (pre-proofing) process to at least make the proofing job a bit less stressful on the proofer. One problem I often have when proofing, is "catching" punctuation and those pesky extra paragraph marks when proofing (and that is just the tip of the iceberg.) What I decided to do after the scan is uniform the font throughout the file, uniform the paragraph presentation including left justifying, split dialogue since this often means there are more than one paragraph mark present on a line, change m dashes (which I know is not needed), get rid of extra blank lines (which I know is also not needed), correct the ellipses and those which are before the period, and strip headers and footers, of course. I do place a blank line before the page break but never done it after the page break, even though my mind always told me that one was required. Open Book never puts a blank line before the page break. I honestly want to put up good and excellent quality scans so that the proofer only have to concentrate on the minimum...catching what I missed. Some of my first proos were horrible scans and were tedious to say the least. If it weren't for my LOVE of reading, I probably would have quit volunteering because of the actual quality of the scan that was marked excellent instead of good or poor. I just uploaded for approval a book that I downloaded last April, I think, but had so many scanning errors and was full of mix-up pages (page 12 way down in the book after page 200) that it was pathetic and probably should have been rejected but I wanted to see the book in the collection so I just "grinned and bared" it. Thanks, Evan, for your help with this matter and I will be sure to save your email. Thanks everyone else, John, Laura, Cindy, Roger, and Doug, for your help as well.
Best,
Netta
"Until lions tell their tale, the story of the hunt will always glorify the hunter."-African Proverb