[bksvol-discuss] Maybe I'm A Moron

  • From: "Chris Hofstader" <cdh@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 10:50:47 -0400

Hi,

I just uploaded the book, "The Gang That Wouldn't Write Straight: Wolfe,
Didion, Thompson and the New Journalism Revolution."  I spell checked it and
think I got most of the OCR errors out but some words seem to have been
concatenated that should be separated and a number of apostrophes are
followed by an "s" when they probably should not be (as in Chris's versus
Chris').

A week or so ago, I got an email that says that to get rid of section breaks
in Word, I should search for ^b and replace with an empty field.  The book,
as I arrowed through claimed that their was a section and page break at
every place where the actual book had a hard page.  By removing the section
breaks, though, Word also removed the page breaks and I ended up with an
approximately 335 page book becoming a 17 page book with text wrapped in all
sorts of weird ways that made it entirely unreadable.  I then went onto the
next suggestion, replace all ^b section breaks with ^m page breaks.  This
resulted in exactly the same thing.

Jim Homme and I have been pounding our heads against the page break problem
in the Drupal book I scanned over a month ago and now, in a far less
difficult book, I still cannot manage to get beyond the page break problem.
Am I just a moron who is missing something obvious or is this whole scan and
validate task a whole lot more complicated than I had ever guessed?

Thanks,
cdh