[bksvol-discuss] Re: May 10 - almost 100 books added

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 04:45:20 -0700

I would guess around sixty thousand or so. In the recorded books department, the RC numbers are above sixty thousand now, but you can't take that number literally because many of the lower-numbered books - below ten thousand or so - have been reissued or withdrawn. (Actually, I'm not even sure that RC numbers go below ten thousand, as many numbers in the four figures are TBs.) Anyhow, then you add in Braille books, the BR numbers are now above sixteen thousand now, but some of the lower-numbered books may not be around anymore either. So I think sixty thousand might be a reasonable estimate; but perhaps on the slightly low side. Bookshare has a long way to go, because while they are adding books faster than NLS, it will take a long time for those curves to intersect. NLS adds around two thousand books a year to their collection I would estimate. If Bookshare added about twice as many books per year as NLS, about eighty books per week, it would still take over ten years for Bookshare to surpass NLS in number of books, because NLS has a long start. But if the last few weeks are any indication of the future, then that time could be substantially shorter.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott Blanks" <scottsjb@xxxxxxxxx>