[bksvol-discuss] Re: Martha Grimes book available for proofing

  • From: Debby Franson <the.bee@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 16:05:40 -0500

Hi Kim and everyone!

When I first became a volunteer in late 2009, my husband said that he wouldn't like to proofread because it is too detailed, so he thinks it would be tedious. He's a detail person, but not in that way, so proofreading isn't for everyone.

I enjoy scanning and proofreading equally well.

Debby

At 07:01 PM 5/11/2011, Kim Friedman wrote
Hi, Sue, I am no jiffy proofreader either. I read every word of a book from first to last. I not only get to read a good book but I'm also making sure the file looks nice, pretty, and readable for anyone who cares to download. Here is to the daffy deranged perfectionists like ourselves. Would you believe it, Sue, I'll talk to a fellow volunteer on Skype and our conversation might have something to do with formatting, in other words I talk shop: "I've done two chapters today" and then I'll talk about the book and I'll praise the submitter: "So-and-so did a dandy job with the file." Other folks who aren't members of Bookshare are quite bemused when I say I'm proofreading something for Bookshare. "I don't think I'd have the patience for it," they'll say. This is funny because I'm not the most patient person in the world, but if I'm reading the file, I get absorbed by the story until the little critic spots something needing correction. I think submitters like to know what I'm doing so I correspond with them about my progress, etc. Regards, Kim.