[bksvol-discuss] Making the book drive a success

  • From: Tony Baechler <bookshare@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 10:05:16 -0700

Hello all,

I've noticed almost no discussion at all regarding the book drive which
I announced on both lists and my web site, http://baechler.net/.  I want
to make this work and I want it to be of benefit to all.  I admit that
I'm not a people person but what am I doing wrong?  Is the announcement
too long?  I'll post just a brief summary below.  Is my email not
working or should something be changed?  If you don't want to discuss
this on list, please feel free to write to me directly off list at
bookshare@xxxxxxxxxxxx or bookrequest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx  The book request
address was designed for book requests but I'll accept feedback at any
address at this point.  Is the deadline too close?  I thought about
extending it to September 21.  If you think you can manage the operation
better, please tell me.  I think I'm doing something that bothers people
but I don't know what.  Here is a short summary of the announcement.

I. Scanning

We are looking for people who want to scan books.  They will get to keep
the books when they're done and they will be submitting them to
Bookshare so they get full submission credit.  We would like to find
about six regular scanners so we can make this project year-round.  I
myself would like to find someone willing to scan very large books
and/or magazines.

II. Requests

While we're not trying to run a general wish list, we are interested in
any classic mystery, science fiction, and fantasy novels.  We are also
interested in old time radio books and mystery or science fiction
anthologies.  We're willing to replace fair books.  All books are bought
used so there is a limit on what we can get.

III. Donations

We do not require or ask for donations but you are welcome to donate if
you wish.  PayPal is best but we also greatfully accept used books and
checks.  Credit cards are not preferred but can be accepted in some
cases.

IV. Final

All books will be directly mailed to people scanning.  Scanners may keep
books.  The schedule is flexible.  All information including the full
announcement and scanning form is at the home page.
http://baechler.net/  My primary purpose in doing this is to benefit the
Bookshare community as well as getting books that I'm interested in
reading.  If I can do something differently to be of more help, please
say so.  Thanks.