[bksvol-discuss] Re: Making Scans Better For Braille Users

  • From: Elizabeth and Burton <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Nov 2006 19:41:02 -0500

Check for " ?" " ." would be my suggestion if you find a pattern like that. Other than that, use of spell checkers seem to catch a lot of scanos.

E.
At 06:04 PM 11/2/2006, you wrote:
Hi. I've been doing a lot of thinking about how speech and Braille make a book seem readable to people. As a speech user, I think I probably miss several things in my scans that drive Braille users up a wall. So I could use some feedback. Do any of you take turns using speech and Braille on the same book? If so, what do you see with your Braille display that speech glosses over. I know that line breaks are an issue, though I don't have a good way to fix the issue at this point. I discovered while validating the book about the Kennedy family that sometimes there is a space between a word and its punctuation. Speech doesn't show me that unless I'm moving letter by letter through a sentence. I am guessing that Braille users also see extra spacing between words or sentences. How is a tab character handled in Braille? Are there ways to compensate for these things so I won't have to manually read letter by letter through a whole book? That idea seems pretty unpleasant since I usually use Jaws with its say all feature and stop to fix errors I hear. I would appreciate hearing from anyone with insights or ideas to share.

Monica Willyard