[bksvol-discuss] Re: M dashes and fonts

  • From: "Mayrie ReNae" <mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 10:14:08 -0800

Hi Roger,

Never were we told to convert em dashes to a dash.  It used to be necessary
to convert them to two hyphens, but now the conversion tools do this for us.
A dash is a hyphen creating a compound word, an em dash, or in the old days,
two hyphens denoted a pause in the reading.  Very, very different things, so
if people are converting em dashes to a single hyphen or dash, they're not
helping at all!

Mayrie