[bksvol-discuss] Re: M dashes and fonts

  • From: Melissa Smith <mdsmith25@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 18:53:57 -0600

I would definitely agree with context being the main means of distinction. After all, when listening to something with my screenreader, I never have punctuation turned on, unless I'm proofing something. And, when I read Braille, I quickly skim over the punctuation, realizing it is there, but paying little attention to it.

Melissa Smith

On 1/24/2011 6:43 PM, Roger Loran Bailey wrote:
I do think some screen readers and some people call a hyphen a dash, but it is still an entirely different thing. If you are looking at them visually they are similar. The dash is considerably longer. Depending on the font they may look so similar that one can only tell the difference by context and in any font if they are seen completely out of context, like alone on a blank page, they may be indistinguishable, so it may be that some people call them both dash because they don't actually know the difference and because the one syllable dash is easier to say than hyphen. The context is important though. Hyphens are used to make compound words. That is, if you want a phrase to be treated as a single word you connect the words with hyphens and with no spaces. They are also used to break words at the end of lines. Dashes are used to seperate phrases. I use them most frequently when inserting a phrase into a sentence when the phrase conveys a different idea than the entire sentence is conveying. The dash is used with a space on both sides of it. Even if the hyphen and dash are physically different I think that if a document was printed with both hyphens and dashes in it and the exact same symbol was used for both, I would probably be able to read it with my eyes -- providing that I got my eyesight back -- without confusing them and perhaps without even noticing that the same symbol was being used for both of them. That is, if you are reading them visually I think it is the context that is more important for distinguishing them than their length.

"Everything must justify its existence before the judgment seat of Reason, or give up existence." - Friedrich Engels

The Militant:
http://www.themilitant.com
Pathfinder Press:
http://www.pathfinderpress.com