[bksvol-discuss] Re: M dash, how to make it?

  • From: "Estelnalissi" <airadil@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 20:22:48 -0400

Dear Jake,

Your directions worked perfectly! I'm levitating! We all know I'm not the fastest barge on the canal when it comes to computers, but your instructions put those m dashes exactly where I needed them.

The M dash will be especially easy to remember because it's insert 4 as you said for jaws, and then tapping e 4 times to reach m dash and enter not even having to go to OK!

Also exciting is the fact I saw a slew of items listed in the insert 4 dialogue box which may turn out to be useful!!

The book I'm working on is an Irish memoir. Instead of using quotes or apostrophes, there's a dash or m dash before all quotes and no mark to show the end of the quote. It's plain in print because quotes are inserted farther than the narrative, but I think braille readers will quickly catch the pattern.

While blissfully making my corrections with the new command, I noticed that the scanner read these unique indications of quotes as dash about half of the time and M dash the other half with some minus signs thrown in for variety. The mixture was random so I made a command decision to use the simpler dash to indicate quotes. I'm on page 27 now and all quotes are uniformly indicated with a single dash, easier for me and the reader.

By the way, when this book is approved, I'm going to mention that while anyone interested in quirky humor, Irish culture and recalling life from 1959 through 1960 something will like this book, but the POV, and the father, a kind of hero to the author will really appeal to the gritty guys among the members. I'm entranced, but regularly amused in spite of myself and grossed out, too.

Always with love,

Lissi

Thanks for helping me to enjoy another break through!

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jake Brownell" <jabrown@xxxxxxxxx>