[bksvol-discuss] Re: Losing My Em Dashes: Major Irony

  • From: "Kellie Hartmann" <hart0421@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 11:06:18 -0500

Hi Evan,
Yes, long dash is Kurzweil's way of saying em-dash; they probably used this
language because em-dash is a printer's term that most people might not know,
except the deranged perfectionists resident in this here asylum. <grin> I don't
know which program or which transfer messed up your em-dashes. However, these
complications are very common and one of the reasons why some have recommended
replacing em-dashes with two regular dashes. The difference to a sighted print
reader is negligible, it works in braille translation, and doesn't get
corrupted/confused when moving a file between programs.
Hth,
Kellie