[bksvol-discuss] Lord of the Rose

  • From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2008 16:28:32 -0400

A validator needs to remove extraneous line breaks. I do not know how one would do that without a braille display or print read out.

E.

At 04:07 PM 10/4/2008, you wrote:
Hi all,

Roger, you mistake me. I have never thought that sex should be kept away from children. I just think that there are some subjects like rape, incest, extremely graphic violence, child porn, some aspects of homosexuality, and so on that aren't necessarily bad, but they are, as you say, of little interest to children, and should be rationed unless taken with an adult as supervisor. Now, there are kids who because of their life's experience could read adult books and understand them. There are just some things that one experiences as one grows older which are tabu for children. I mean tabu in the actual anthropological sense, something which is forbidden because it is either too holy or too secret for the crowd. I don't mean tabu in the sense of something bad. You used it to connote something bad. I mean it as something which will be shared in the right time.

<smiling>  This is one of the reasons I dislike V.C. Andrews books.
They are billed as being for young adults, but they have subjects which, if not discussed and evaluated, could spawn a host of questions in the mind of children and teens. Again, there are some teens who could read her rot, know it was rot and move on. There are others who wouldn't understand it. There are still others who would find it goulishly fascinating. It is, as I have often said before, amoral.

There are books like Huckleberry Finn which have no sex and no violence in them and yet are banned because Twain wrote in the time he lived, and that was how people thought. I don't see anything wrong with Twain. Twain, after all, was a writer whose morals are never in doubt. I can't say that about V.C. Andrews. <smiling> Go figure.

Ann P.

--
Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring