[bksvol-discuss] Looking for best way to make sure all footnote numbers are in text

  • From: "Judy s." <cherryjam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2016 14:42:50 -0600

I just finished going through 900 pages of a book that is heavily footnoted, as in it has almost 2000 footnotes. The footnotes are all at the end of the book in a notes section, so that part was easy-ish to proofreader. However, making sure that the footnote numbers were actually maintained in the text itself by the scanning and OCR was a nightmare.

I'm sighted, so I was able to use scanned images from the book to help me find where missing footnote numbers went. Even so, it took months, working on it a little bit at a time, to make sure that the text had every single footnote number and that they were all formatted properly to Bookshare's standards. The scanner did a terrific job on this huge very complex book, except for the footnote numbers which were a bear for them to scan, so I didn't want to reject it.

If anyone has a better or different way to do this, I'd really appreciate if you could share it. It would be useful to me to know how everyone else, sighted or blind, tackles this kind of nightmare.

Even in a fairly simple book that has footnotes, what techniques seem to work to make sure that all of the footnote numbers are in the text?

--
Judy s.
Follow me on Twitter at QuackersNCheese <https://twitter.com/QuackersNCheese>