[bksvol-discuss] Re: Long validation list

  • From: talmage@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2007 08:54:03 -0500

It seems keeping up with anti-virus software can be a pain in the arse all on its own. The last version of Norton that was worth a sh!t, was the 2005 edition, which you can still get the virus DB files for, but they keep pressing their newer improved versions that don't work for diddly, or I should say slow down your system tremendously. McAfee also used to be better, but now they seem to take even more clock cycle to run then Norton, and consequently slow down your system even more. The one I'm currently using is AVG, and it seems ok, but I'd really like to try Sophie, but they don't seem to be targeted at the end user, but rather the corporate environment. It also seems that no matter which you use, another virus checker will always find something yours doesn't. I think in most cases, these are nothing but probables, and false positives. In more then 23 years of computing, I've only had 1 computer seriously infested with viruses, and they stemmed from my children's use of instant messaging software. Provided you don't open unexpected application files, and don't allow programs to run without consent, 98% of your battle against viruses will be successful. It is also important to show file name extensions so people can't slide in hidden applications.

Dave

At 10:08 PM 12/13/2007, you wrote:
Norton is awful, smile.

Well my experience with Norton.

I have used AVG antivirus for years, and it picks up viruses that Norton
misses.

Smile.

Shelley L. Rhodes M.A., VRT, CTVI
and Guinevere, Golden lady Guide