[bksvol-discuss] Re: Limited Comments on Bookshare Manual

  • From: "Mayrie ReNae" <mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 16:28:16 -0700

Hi Gary,

The braille transcription manual essentially says to treat the elipsis as if
it were a word.  This means that if there is an opening quote before the
elipsis, no space should come before the elipsis.  And if there is a period
and closing quote following the elipsis, that no space should come between.
But between words, the elipsis should be surrounded by spaces. Also, if the
elipsis is followed by a closing quote, there should be no space between the
elipsis and the closing quotation mark.  Finally, and this is different from
what I learned years ago, if a period and an elipsis are together, rules of
grammar need to be used to determine the placement of the elipsis.  If the
sentence is a fragment, not containing both a subject and a verb, (isn't a
complete sentence), but there is a period, the elipsis should come before
the period with no space between.  If the elipsis follows a complete
sentence, the period should follow the sentence as usual, and the elipsis
following should be preceded and followed by a space.

All that said, and I do realize that it is a bit complex, as long as there
are NO spaces within the elipsis, it will be rendered accurately by
Bookshare's braille translation tools.  And, as far as I know, it needs to
be typed on the keyboard as three periods, not as the elipsis symbol,
because said symbol is not translated correctly.

Okay, I hope that was clear.  If not, please ask.  And, may I suggest that
if anyone thinks they might need this information in future for refreshing
the memory as many of us (myself included), please keep this note to refer
to so I don't have to express myself sensibly and clearly again. I might not
do so well a second time.

Mayrie

  _____