[bksvol-discuss] Limited Comments on Bookshare Manual

  • From: "Lori Castner" <loralee.castner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2010 09:52:52 -0700

Hi, Scott and Everyone,

I am going to make just a few comments on the content of the volunteer manual.
In 4 I the discussion of ellipses, I am puzzled by the instructions.  The issue
has come up over and over on this list and I thought the last consensus was
that when an ellipses occurs midsentence, the ellipses should be preceeded and
followed by a space.  I will follow the instructions in the manual and hope the
translation software will handle them correctly.  The instructions say to not
include a space before a mid-sentence ellipses, but to put a space only after
the ellipses and before the following word.
In 4 K regarding bullets, the manual says that it is not necessary to change a
tab following a bullet into a space.  Does the translation software now change
tabs into spaces?
In the sections on ellipses and bullets the text gives exampoles.  In these
examples each line is preceeded by a number of spaces.  Personally, I wish
those spaces were not present.  Whhen I read those lines by moving through
character by character to see what is happening the spaces are just a nuisance.
I never could access the Section When and How to Reject a Book
In the section on How to renew a Book the instructions refer to clicking the
Volunteer Home link on the left side of the taskbar--that is a visual
orientation.
Under D5, volunteers are instructed to notify Bookshare if they want a hold
removed from a book. I thought that a book would not languish-as the manual
states-but would be removed if the book sat on the checkout page for two weeks.
I wish I could make more comments, but I do not have the fortitude to continue
struggling with the navigation of this manual; for me, it is too painful.

I would rather spend my time proofreading.

Lori C.