[bksvol-discuss] Life: A User's Manual by Georges Perec, translated by David Bellos

  • From: misha <mishatronics@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2013 13:23:39 -0700

To Ali Hajamy

The universe may be coming to an end soon--I have "Life: A User's Manual" ready to submit. Should I put it up as Hold for Ali?

For everyone else, here is a synopsis from Amazon:

Over twenty years ago, Godine published the first English translation of Georges Perec's masterpiece, Life A User's Manual, hailed by the Times Literary Supplement, Boston Globe, and others as one of the great novels of the century. Structured around a single moment in time 8:00 P.M. on June 23, 1975, Perec's spellbinding puzzle begins in an apartment block in the XVIIth arrondissement of Paris where, chapter by chapter, room by room, an extraordinarily rich cast of characters is revealed in a series of tales that are bizarre, unlikely, moving, funny, or (sometimes) quite ordinary.

By the way, I took this on because it came recommended by Martin Gardner in his capacity as Royal Historian of Oz. So, clearly it is indeed a puzzle book.

Misha