[bksvol-discuss] Re: Leaving and closing addresses

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2007 14:05:14 -0400

Morning all,

Original message:
All:

This is just to say that I will be leaving both Bookshare lists.  I
will also be closing the following addresses in a matter of hours:

bookshare@xxxxxxxxxxxx
bookrequest(s)@baechler.net
press@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Please don't write to any of the above addresses in the future as I
will not read mail sent to them.  I am disappearing entirely from the
volunteer community except a validation here and there.  Obviously,
the book drive was a failure, just like everything else I've tired to
do for the Bookshare community.  I don't know why nothing I do seems
appreciated but after putting up with various insults for several
years, I'm giving up.  Sorry for offending so many people here.  I
can pretty much promise that I won't be back unless something
drastically changes.  Obviously, don't bother to contact me.  There
will be no more book drives or anything else from me.  For those who
are interested, I am not 17 years old, contrary to what at least one
person thought.  I've been online since 1995 and have only found one
other list which is so unfriendly and unappreciative.  That list was
also for the blind.
----------
Tony Baechler
Baechler Productions

Well, I should probably not respond to such a message except that it makes me sad when communication breaks down between parties who are working on the same project together. I haven't been a part of the ongoing list for more than a couple of months, though I've been a bookshare member a long time. So I don't know what's prompted this message above. Obviously, the perception of Tony's communication by the Bookshare Community and its to Mr. Beechler are at odds. Communication, especially in email, is a tricky business because most sighted people, when they communicate face to face, pay attention to nonverbal cues. Indeed it has been shown that some seventy-five to eighty percent of communication between face to face participants who are sighted is predicated upon nonverbal cues. when one communicates in email, all the nonverbal cues are gone, poof, and you can't judge what anyone says or means except by their words. that's why it's important to remember the cardinal rule of communication in cases like this. That rule is that it doesn't matter what you said, what you thought you said, what you meant to say. The Only thing that matters is how the communicatee perceived your communication. <smiling sadly> It's a two way street. The first communicator says something and the communicatee is insulted. It is the communicator's responsibility to examine his or her communication and try to determine what it is that caused the communicatee to take offense. Then, of course the burden shifts to the first communicatee when he or she becomes the communicator; and on and on it goes. Unfortunately, there are times when communication totally breaks down and there is nothing which can be done to save a relationship, either personal, public or work related.

Wishing you all the very best in all your endeavors, Tony. I trust that you may find rewarding volunteer work and continue to serve others as you obviously have been doing.

Ann P.

Ann K. Parsons
Portal Tutoring
EMAIL:  akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx