[bksvol-discuss] Last submission of the day

  • From: "solsticesinger" <solsticesinger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 19:14:08 -0500

Lastly, I've submitted I'll Fly Away: Further Testimonies from the Women of
York Prison edited by Wally Lamb. This book contains quite a bit of slang, so
the spellchecker may not be accurate. Here is the synopsis.

In 2003 Wally Lamb-the author of two of the most beloved novels of our time,
She's Come Undone and I Know This Much Is True-published Couldn't Keep It to
Myself, a collection of essays by the students in his writing workshop at the
maximum-security York Correctional Institution, Connecticut's only prison
for women. Writing, Lamb discovered, was a way for these women to confront
painful memories, face their fears and their failures, and begin to imagine
better lives. The New York Times described the book as "Gut-tearing tales . . .
the unvarnished truth." The Los Angeles Times said of it, "Lying next to
and rising out of despair, hope permeates this book."

Now Lamb returns with I'll Fly Away, a new volume of intimate, searching pieces
from the York workshop. Here, twenty women-eighteen inmates and two of Lamb's
cofacilitators-share the experiences that shaped them from childhood and that
haunt and inspire them to this day. These portraits, vignettes, and stories
depict with soul-baring honesty how and why women land in prison-and what
happens once they get there. The stories are as varied as the individuals who
wrote them, but each testifies to the same core truth: the universal value of
knowing oneself and changing one's life through the power of the written
word.

Shannon
I am only one; but still I am one. I can not do everything, but I can do
something. And, because I can not do everything, I will not refuse to do the
something I can do.
Everet Edward Hale