[bksvol-discuss] Re: Larry Honaker New Volunteer

  • From: Shane Christenson <drummershane@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 18:03:27 -0500

hi, Larry. Firstly, your message came through just fine. Secondly, welcome to this great group of volunteers. We're glad to have you aboard.

As far as how long the process takes from the time you submit a book, until it gets into the collection, That can vary depending on how long it takes to get it validated, and then it goes into the admin cue for approval. When you submit a book, it goes to what we call the step one page for validation, where someone will pick it up and validate it. Any volunteer can validate a book on the step 1 page, and there's a 7-day period from the time a book is downloaded from the step 1 page, until it expires. Validators will get e-mail 2 days before their book expires, in case they need to renew the validation. If it expires, that means it goes back to step 1, either for you or someone else to pick up and validate. Your submission is more likely to get validated if you send an e-mail to the volunteers list, as you did with the message I'm replying to, letting us know you've submitted something. Once the validation is complete, it then gets uploaded to the step 2 page, where the admin cue gets it, and will then approve it. On average that particular process takes anywhere from a couple of days to around a week or so, depending on how many books are in the admin cue at one time. Once that's done though, your book is then available for the entire bookshare membership to enjoy. Happy scanning, validating and reading.

Shane
At 05:23 PM 7/31/2007, you wrote:
Greetings All:

I am submitting this for the third time. I apologize if you have seen this
before, but I can find no evidence my email is reaching the list.

I have been a Bookshare subscriber for several years and now wish to
contribute something back to the great library we have so thoroughly
enjoyed.

I just validated my first book and went thru the acceptance upload. Can one
of the experienced validators give me an idea of what happens next; that is,
how long does it take for the administrators to verify and get the book in
to the collection?

It was a short book, so that worked out well for my first adventure in to
this world. I did have some difficulty with the final version I created from
my mPower--I may like to communicate with another Braillenote user on that
issue.

Final success was achieved using Word and with this particular short book I
did not lose much time but in the process I learned a lot already.

Look forward to participating in this great group of volunteers.

Larry W. Honaker

email:  kc8pdx@xxxxxxxx
skype: doublezero2369

http://www.eset.com