[bksvol-discuss] Re: Kurzweil scan to RTF file?

  • From: "Pratik Patel" <pratikp1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2006 23:16:30 -0400

Aimy,

any time you use kurzweil to scan, I would recommend that you save your file
in its native format, which is .kes.  When you ultimately  upload to
Bookshare, you can always convert your files to .rtf.  The .kes format have
some excellent advantages.  One of those advantages is to allow you to
define your own page numbers.  This means that you can tell Kurzweil 1000
where the actual start of the book is.  This features is known as "operator
defined page numbers."  You can find it in the Navigation menu (alt+v).
Let's say for example, that Genji book you're  currently working on starts
30 pages into the actual scan.  You should go to the actual  page where the
book numbering begins.  Page 1, for instance.  Go to the Navigation menu
(alt+v) and arrow down to get to "operator defined page numbers."  Hit enter
on this menu item.  Kurzweil will ask you to put in a number.  type 1 here
and press enter.  From now on, Kurzweil will announce the pages in the
correct sequence.  Any pages before this point are announced as preliminary
numbers.  So it could be, preliminary 1, preliminary 2, preliminary 3 and so
on until you get to preliminary 30.  Then you go to page one, the number
where you actually begin the book or page numbering.

And Aimy, Thanks for keeping the blank pages.  We recommend that all blank
pages be kept in order to allow Bookshare tools to take advantage of page
numbering capabilities.

Regards,

Pratik

  _____