[bksvol-discuss] Re: Kurzweil 10

  • From: The Pardees <fpardee@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 16:37:40 -0400

Hi Sarah,
I received Version 10 last Friday and have scanned two books with it. It reduces the number of junk characters, but it is not perfect. The length of time to open a Daisy file is shorter, but it still takes a while. The biggest improvement from my perspective, is the addition of the incorrectly spelled percentage on each page and the ability to edit pages in the poorly recognized page section. They can be chosen either from confidence or spelling percentage. And edited pages can be marked. I have had no occasion to use the table features.
In my opinion it is an improvement.

Jim

At 02:27 PM 9/7/05, you wrote:

I am just curious whether anyone has Kurzweil version 10 yet. If someone does, I'd love to hear what their impressions are of the new features. I am especially interested in how much improvement they actually experience in how fast DAISY files open, how well the suspicious region removal works, and if they are now having more success with tables. I have so much trouble with junk characters in my scans where the binding is that I go kind of crazy editing. Other than that kind of mess my scans need extremely little fixing if they are just text without a lot of charts and tables and things like that.

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
Assistive Technology Trainer
http://home.earthlink.net/~netentity