[bksvol-discuss] Re: Knitting books--majority of members not blind

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2012 02:58:20 -0800 (PST)

Thanks, Roger. That's very interesting.
Cindy

>________________________________

    of course, that the proportion of blind people who use Bookshare is
    considerably higher than it is in the general population, but there
    are still a lot more dyslexics in this world than there are blind
    people. As far as I can tell, though, the blind people on the
    volunteer list outnumber the dyslexics. It does not surprise me,
    though, that the number of users who are dyslexic outnumber the
    blind users. There is another organization that caters to print
    impaired people that used to be named Recording for the Blind. At a
    certain point in time they changed their name to Recording for the
    Blind and Dyslexic saying that the new name more closely reflected
    the population that they served. They actually served more dyslexics
    than blind people. Then even more recently they changed their name
    again and this time it was to Learning Ally. One of the ostensible
    reasons was that they did serve people with disabilities other than
    dyslexia and blindness, but there was also some indication that the
    dyslexic clients did not want to be so closely associated with blind
    people. I suppose you can guess that made quite a few blind people a
    bit miffed.

>>On 2/11/2012 8:31 PM, Cindy wrote:
>>Really.  Interesting. I did know that some members are dyslexic and perhaps
>>for physical impairments cannot hold books to read but I had assumed hat the
>>majority of bookshare members are legally blind. Mayrie, or Carrie, an you
>>tell us /me how the majority of members qualify?
>>>Cindy

                to make the graphics
                can be legally
                place.