[bksvol-discuss] Re: Knitting books

  • From: "Sandi Ryan" <sjryan2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 10:05:24 -0600

Hi Tracy and Jamie,

I think this issue is very important to the accessibility of PQ books in general. If a book is provided to Bookshare by the author or publisher, and we are not allowed to touch it, but it does not contain the very information that would make the book accessible to Bookshare members, who do pay for the privilege of reading the book (though not a lot), is that book truly accessible? Can Bookshare sign contracts for accessible books and consider those contracts met if the books provided do not contain accessible information, including graphs, tables, charts, and images crucial to understanding the book?

My thought about such knitting books is "Why bother? I can get that much of the book anywhere!"

This also applies to Sue's family tree, and to PQ textbooks with crucial missing pieces. And we have been asked by Bookshare to create quality reports--but how does one go about sending a quality report for each of these books? They are many! We may need another volunteer segment to complete this task. And, having found them, what can be done?

Sandi

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tracy Carcione" <carcione@xxxxxxxxxx>