[bksvol-discuss] Kindle Only Books

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 12:33:37 -0400

I just encountered my first Kindle only book yesterday. I'm wondering if others
here have seen any of these. With electronic books now outselling hardcovers,
it seems that this may become a growing trend. Why spend all that money on
paper, ink and shipping when you can just send out electronic bits instead for
a lot less money, and more quikly besides?

Why am I posting this here? Because, unless Bookshare has agreements with
publishers, then there's no way for these Kindle only books to get on
Bookshare. So  we could be in a situation where an increasing number of books
will be published in a way that will make it impossible for them to be added to
Bookshare. The one I saw said that TTS was enabled, but that is often not the
case with Kindle books in general. So what happens with a Kindle only book with
TTS disabled and there's no print version to scan for Bookshare?

I presume that Bookshare knows about these books, so perhaps I'm worrying over
nothing. I hope so.

Evan