[bksvol-discuss] Re: Katharine Kerr books

  • From: "Kim Friedman" <kimfri11@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jul 2009 09:02:43 -0700

Hi, Jamie, Kim here. Ms. Kerr also wrote The Shattered Door, and I believe
it was an anthology she edited. I also think she had something to do with an
anthology about Shakespeare. Anyhow, if you go to amazon.com or
fantasticfiction.com you can know what she wrote. Mind you, I have no idea
when these books by Ms. Kerr will be added to the collection. Maybe you guys
can plead with the folks at Bookshare to let you all get a crack at them.
Will they do that? I don't know. I did hear that the folks in Palo Alto are
up to their eyebrows in books and they have a backlog of stuff not yet added
to the collection. They worry about how they'll pay for proofreading this
stuff. Personally, I'm of the opinion that the books which should be most
prized are the books you folks worked so hard on. Those publishers, as far
as I'm concerned, would rather cut costs than deal with proper editing. (I
think that the independent and small presses take more pride in their work
than the behemoths Bookshare is dealing with. Okay, you can guess I'm
routing for you guys, particularly you perfectionist souls who work to make
everything look and read splendidly. I hope the folks at Bookshare will be
able to negotiate with strength and say to those publishers that if they
can't produce a splendid copy of their files, why should Bookshare get rid
of a perfectly splendid book scanned and proofread by volunteers? I think
that the caring should win out over folks who just slap files to you but
don't care if pictures are described for the delight of young readers and no
errors to be found anywhere. Regards, Kim.

  _____