[bksvol-discuss] Re: Kaddish

  • From: "Robin Frost" <robinni71@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 21:32:47 -0400

Hi,
For more about the Kaddish and the beauty of the various customs surrounding
its reciting you can see:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mourner%27s_Kaddish
It is a topic especially dear to me today on what would have been my beloved
mother's birthday.
One of my favorite customs surrounding its reciting in many reformed
congregations is the custom which has become popular in the wake of the
holocaust of the entire congregation standing for its chanting not just those
who are designated as mourners. this is done partly so that those who might
have perished in the holocaust and hadn't any surviving family members to chant
it for them will be remembered but also in more recent times so that no one in
the congregation should stand alone during their time of mourning no matter how
long that pain is freshly felt.  I find that very comforting.
Ann's right in stating that it doesn't specifically mention death in its text
but rather is a prayer of remembrance and declaration of life.
My condolences to Bob and his wife on their unimaginable loss.  Were there
anything I could do to lighten their burdens as they travel along the way of
lament and the road of the bereaved I surely would.
Blessings to all you love in this world.
Robin