[bksvol-discuss] Re: K1000 and editing .rtf files question

  • From: "Mayrie ReNae" <mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Sep 2008 12:51:12 -0700

Hi Caitlyn,

        This instance would be exactly the reason that I would check the
number of pages in Word before ever  opening the file in K1000.  To make
sure that you know how many pages there are in the rtf file in Word, count
the number of preliminary pages.  Add that number to the number of pages in
the text of the book as determined by the final page number in the book,
assuming that your book has page numbers.  If that number of pages matches
what Word says are the number of pages, you can compare with Kurzweil.  If
Word thinks there are more pages than you think you should have, you need to
customize your paper size to something big so that soft page breaks will
disappear.  This should make the number of pages in the text plus the number
of preliminary pages match the total page count that Word will give you.

Then you can make sure that Kurzweil agrees on the page number count.

        If you don't have page numbers in your book, you can look on Amazon,
or Barnes and Noble at the particular edition of your book, defined by its
ISBN to find out how many total pages your book should have.

        It is very common to have blank pages between stories or chapters in
a print book.  I've seen on occasion, as many as three blank pages between
sections.  But I do think it's highly unlikely that the book would have been
printed on one side of the page as it seems to be by what you describe.  But
you can't really know which pages to eliminate if Kurzweil is adding pages
in for you.  This might be an instance in which you might want to work in
Word, just because for some unknown reason, Kurzweil isn't friendly with
this file.  I know that sounds vague and rediculous, but sometimes, at least
on my computer, things are rediculous, just unreasonable.

        Sorry to rattle on or to tell you a bunch of stuff that you already
know, if you already know it.  Just thought I'd let my brain fall out the
keyboard, just in case it might help.
Good Luck!

Mayrie