[bksvol-discuss] Just submitted: The Sisters of Henry VIII

  • From: "Amber Wallenstein" <amber.wallens@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 12:20:19 -0500

I have just submitted the Sisters of Henry VIII by Maria Perry.

Henry VIII's sisters, neglected by generations of historians, impacted the
lives and perceptions of their contemporaries much more forcefully than did any
of their brother's famous six wives. In The Suterj of Henry VIII, Maria Perry
examines the lives of these extraordinary women and analyzes their influence on
European history in the Tudor Age.
Both sisters, Margaret and Mary, initially accepted their status as pawns in
the dynastic power struggles that raged across sixteenth-century Europe.
Margaret became queen of Scotland at age thirteen; family members arranged
beautiful Mary's betrothal to the aging King of France when she was twelve. But
both women chose their second husbands for love. Margaret bucked convention by
marrying and divorcing twice after Henry's advancing armies slaughtered her
first husband and kidnapped her children. Mary risked execution by proposing to
the handsome Duke of Suffolk. By illuminating the characters of these two
historical figures, Perry casts light on other aspects of Tudor England,
offering a tresh interpretation of Henry VIII's upbringing and of his
relationship with immediate family members.
In this eye-opening expose of the intrigue and scandal that simmered just
beneath the Tudors' regal image, Perry reveals striking new information about a
family that - more than any other - shaped the development of both Reformation
England and the modern world. She delivers a new and entirely viable theory
about what transpired on the wedding night of Henry's doomed elder brother,
Arthur, England's heir apparent, and she presents her own spectacular findings
on Henry's illegitimate son, his "worldly jewel," the shadowy Duke of Richmond.
Groundbreaking in both depth and scope, The Suiters of Henry VIII rescues two
remarkable princesses from the shadows of history and radically challenges
popular views of both the king and his era.

Actress and writer M A R I A PERRY was educated at Somerville College, Oxford.
Following a career in journalism, both in England and in Sweden, she undertook
a wide spectrum of roles on stage and television and in film. She is a founding
member of the London recording group The Poetry People. Her previous books, The
Word of a Prince: A Life of Elizabeth I and Knigbbbridgc Woman, both received
high acclaim. She lives in London.
Enjoy.
amber

Book blog: