[bksvol-discuss] Re: Just submitted: Last train to Memphis

  • From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 15:15:58 -0700 (PDT)

I'm not sure, and I haven't read the book. To refresh
my memory I checked the dates of the so-called wars
that weren't declared, i.e., Korea and Vietnam. Elvis
was drafted in between and served is time in West
Germany.

The draft was still on in the '60s. That was during
the Vietnam conflict, and there were a lot of anti-war
demonstrations and draft-card burnings and people
going to Canada to avoid the draft.

I did some more research and finally found that
"conscription was abolished in favor of an
all-volunteer army in 1973." However, "In 1980,
Congress reinstituted draft registration for men 18 to
25 years old. If there were to be a crisis, registered
men would be inducted as determined by age and a
random lottery."

Cindy