[bksvol-discuss] Just submitted: Blood done sign my name

  • From: "Brian Miller" <brian-r-miller@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 18:25:16 -0400

All,

I have just submitted for validation the following:

Blood done sign my name, by Timmothy Tyson, Three Rivers Press, 2004, pp 350.

From the book jacket:

"Daddy and Roger and em shot 'em a n****r " Those words, whispered to
ten-year-old Tim Tyson by a playmate, heralded a firestorm that would forever
transform the tobacco market town of Oxford, North Carolina

On May 11, 1970, Henry Marrow, a twenty-three-year-old black veteran, walked
into a crossroads store owned by Robert Teel and came out running Teel and two
of his sons chased and beat Marrow, then killed him in public as he pleaded for
his life

Like many small Southern towns, Oxford had barely been touched by the civil
rights movement But in the wake of the killing, young African Americans took to
the streets While lawyers battled in the courthouse, the Klan raged in the
shadows and black Vietnam veterans torched the town's tobacco warehouses
Tyson's father, the pastor of Oxford's all-white Methodist church, urged the
town to come to terms with its bloody racial history In the end, however, the
Tyson family was forced to move away

Tim Tyson's riveting narrative of that fiery summer brings gritty blues truth,
soaring gospel vision, and down-home humor to a shocking episode of our history
Like To Kill a Mockingbird, Blood Done Sign My Name is a classic portrait of an
unforgettable time and place

***

This is an amazing and powerful book.  I am thinking of suggesting it for
thehistory book club once it gets up and running.

Thanks,
Brian Miller